This weeks stories consisted of many things that will make readers squirm in their seats uncomfortably, but also find voice and relatability in the text as well. Out of all the stories that we read “The Husband Stitch” was my favorite. The amount of detail that the author gave about the woman’s life throughout all of these stages she went through was amazing to me.

She began with this want and need for the man that she eventually would marry and give her entire life to (literally). I feel as though many women could relate to feeling like they have to give into their men and be this sexual figure. She really enjoyed pleasuring him which felt as though it benefited her and him, but it also could have become unhealthy very quickly.

The things that she was going through with her husband did not seem to ultimately have an affect on her relationship with her son. There was an instance where her son asked about her ribbon and she had to distract him from questioning further, something she had to keep doing with her husband until she gave in and eventually died from it.

This story quickly became one of my favorites because of the voice and the way it was explained. There was so much detail which made it very enjoyable to me.

One Response to “Week Three (“The Husband Stitch”)”

1. Grace Quintilian says:

I don’t know if I agree that the narrator’s troubles with her husband had no ultimate effect on her relationship with her son. It doesn’t ruin their relationship completely, but the son witnessing that scene between his parents is what made him question the ribbon, and what lead to the narrator having to set a boundary with him for the first time. She says: “Something is lost between us, and I never find it again.”