Movement in Art

In “A Change in Fashion” dresses kept being design not for wear but for art. Women used to wear long dresses that fitted their body but that all changed when a designer made hoop dresses. He made dresses that were bold in design and covered the women’s body from head to toe. The only part that was not hidden was their eyes, nose, and mouth. Soon more people began to follow his footsteps and make these kinds of dresses. The dresses became big and wide as houses with doors that can lead someone into the dresses. Some even had a whole suite and gardens underneath their dresses.  women could not move in the dresses, but they were able to escape from the dresses without no one noticing them to hang out together wearing their robes.

What the story is about was hard to point out. I believe the story is about how fashion hides what is underneath to protect women’s weakness. Clothes and makeup are like armor and war paint for women to hide their weakness and vulnerability.

In “A Precursor of the Cinema” art is beginning to have movement right in front of the audiences. A man called Harlan Crane, created oil painting that were still but some paintings looked like they moved. This was a bibliography of his life from around 30 years old until he disappeared. He created painting with people moving in the painting and leaving the painting. The information that was given was by his friend, W.C. Curtis.

This story is about keep trying on your inventions and your life. Don’t stick to any rules that society has passed down to you. Even if you fail, don’t give up, try again and again.

2 Responses to “Movement in Art”

1. Jess Munley says:

I really like your interpretation of “A Precursor of the Cinema”. I was frustrated by the story because it seemed to have no end, but the idea that it’s about not giving up and that you should try again makes me see it in a new light. It’s a much more positive take than I first had.

2. Grace Quintilian says:

I feel like with many of Millhauser’s stories, I end up interpreting them as an examination of obsession and the effect that it can have. So I like your interpretation of the story as a kind of encouraging “don’t give up” message.